Peninsula High School Music Department Audition Requirements (Scroll to bottom for CHOIR)
Auditions are held in February. All strings auditions will take place on one day. Please consult the schedule for times available. Auditions for all other instruments will be scheduled individually. Please indicate available dates and times.
You will be asked to demonstrate your progress in these areas: Note: audition music is posted <here>
1.Scales All including chromatic scales.
2.Sight-reading will be required at time of audition for all instruments.
3.Excerpt provided on website. Make sure you pick the correct excerpt as there are separate Jazz excerpts for those auditioning for Jazz Rhythm sections. Orchestra strings excerpts are posted in a separate section.
4. Percussionists: Demonstrate current musical and skill levels through a solo piece which shows a variety of skills, such as: mallets, timpani, cymbals and snare. Xylophone, timpani and accessories will be available at audition. Please bring your own sticks and mallets.
5.Solo - All Musicians Prepared solo (approximately 2 minutes) that BEST demonstrates your ability not something that is a work-in-progress. Strings audition will take place with independent judges. All other instruments will audition with the respective teachers.
Horns: Prepared excerpt – provided Sight reading a part from a Jazz Composition Scales – see classical requirements
Rhythm Section: Prepared JAZZ excerpt – provided Sight reading from a Jazz Composition
Pianist and Guitarists: Prepared JAZZ excerpt and required to play 4 choruses of 12 bar B flat Blues, comping for 2 choruses and improvising for 2 choruses
Bassist: Prepared JAZZ excerpt and required to walk a bass line for 2 choruses of 12 bar B flat Blues
Drummers: Prepared JAZZ excerpt and play time in a swing style, Latin style and rock/funk style
7. All students must fill in the information and audition request, which will automatically be submitted to our department assistant who will schedule your audition time. Please indicate the times and dates you are available before submitting your form. Make any pertinent notes in the Comment section. The "Audition Sign up Contact Form" is linked <here>.
8. A confirmation of your audition date and time will be e-mailed to you - Please note that a valid e-mail address is required in order to receive confirmation.
9. Please arrive ahead of your scheduled audition time. You will need to check in, and there will be a place for you to warm up. There is approximately a ten-minute warm up time. Late arrivals might not be accommodated due to tight scheduling.
10. INSTRUMENTAL AUDITIONS - will take place in the Band Room located adjacent to the Kelly Johnson Field House, close to the football field and track field. Arrive early to ensure plenty of time to warm up and get signed in.
There will be additional information regarding auditions at the annual 8th grade parent orientation nights at Peninsula High School.
CHOIR Student auditions:
For your audition you should prepare a very short section of a song that shows off your vocal strengths. The selection should be performed a cappella or without any instrumental accompaniment (a good example is to think about American Idol auditions). Mr. Doctor will also ask you to sing a series of warm up exercises to test your vocal range. Finally, he will play a series of pitches on the piano and ask you to repeat what you heard. The audition will take approximately 5 minutes and will be held in the choir room in S33. Audition dates will be posted on the website shortly. Feel free to email Mr. Doctor at email@example.com if you have any questions or would like to schedule a private audition.