Peninsula High School Music Department Audition Requirements for 2020-2021 (Scroll to bottom for CHOIR)
Auditions are held in February - consult the schedule of available time slots for details on dates and times available for the group you are interested in
You will be asked to demonstrate your progress in these areas.
1. Scales provided on website. Violin, Viola, Cello, and Bass prepare to perform the A Major and Chromatic scales. All other instruments prepare Concert F Major and Concert G Major and the Chromatic scales.
2.Sight-readingwill be required.
3. Excerpt provided on website. Make sure you pick the correct excerpt as there are separate Jazz excerpts for those auditioning for Jazz Rhythm sections. All other instruments will play the classical excerpts.
4. Percussionists: Demonstrate current musical and skill levels through a solo piece which shows a variety of skills, such as: mallets, timpani, cymbals and snare. Xylophone, timpani and accessories will be available at audition. Please bring your own sticks and mallets.
5.Solo - for String Instruments only Prepared solo (approximately 2 minutes) that BEST demonstrates your ability, not something that is a work-in-progress.
Horns: Prepared excerpt – provided (Classical) Sight reading a part from a Jazz Composition Scales – see classical requirements
Rhythm Section: Prepared JAZZ excerpt – provided Sight reading from a Jazz Composition
Pianist and Guitarists: Prepared JAZZ excerpt and required to play 4 choruses of 12 bar B flat Blues, comping for 2 choruses and improvising for 2 choruses
Bassist: Prepared JAZZ excerpt and required to walk a bass line for 2 choruses of 12 bar B flat Blues
Drummers: Prepared JAZZ excerpt and play time in a swing style, Latin style and rock/funk style
7. All students must fill in the information and audition request, which will automatically be submitted to our department secretary who will schedule your audition time. Please consult the times and dates available before submitting your form. Make any pertinent notes in the Comment section.
9. Your audition date and time will be e-mailed to you as well as being posted on the website - Please note that a valid e-mail address is required in order to receive confirmation.
10. Please arrive ahead of your scheduled audition time. You will need to check in and will have a place to warm up. Late arrivals might not be accommodated due to tight scheduling.
11. INSTRUMENTAL AUDITIONS - will take place in the Band Room located adjacent to the Kelly Johnson Field House, close to the football field and track field. Arrive early to ensure plenty of time to warm up and get signed in.
There will be additional information regarding auditions at the annual 8th grade parent orientation nights at Peninsula high school.
CHOIR Student auditions:
For your audition you should prepare a very short section of a song that shows off your vocal strengths. The selection should be performed a cappella or without any instrumental accompaniment (a good example is to think about American Idol auditions). Mr. Doctor will also ask you to sing a series of warm up exercises to test your vocal range. Finally, he will play a series of pitches on the piano and ask you to repeat what you heard. The audition will take approximately 5 minutes and will be held in the choir room in S33. Audition dates will be posted on the website shortly. Feel free to email Mr. Doctor at email@example.com if you have any questions or would like to schedule a private audition.